Saturday, May 23, 2009

Lifesavers Then, Caregivers Now

Physician Assistants unofficially had their start caring for soldiers as combat medics and corpsmen in the military. This statue is a tribute to those men and women who dedicated their lives to save lives and who paved the way for caregivers today who provide care for the "medically under served."




I took this photo last July at the University of Utah just
outside the PA administration building. I was waiting
for the prospective student Q & A session to begin.

My ambition for my academic and professional life is to be a practicing Physician Assistant. Ever since I was in eleventh grade anatomy and physiology I knew I wanted a career in medicine. I loved learning how the human body worked and was amazed by the capabilities our bodies had to heal, build, and use energy. Since that time I've been even more astounded by the complexities of life. My bachelor's degree in Biology at USU has afforded me the chance to learn about biochemistry, medical physiology, molecular genetics, and anatomy (as well as many other subjects.)

As I worked on my Master's Degree studying calcium ion channel physiology, I realized that learning how calmodulin actually influenced excitation contraction coupling in skeletal muscle didn't really matter to me very much. I realized that learning about how things actually worked in the human body only really mattered in the direct and practical application of that knowledge to help people.

I had been playing with the idea of PA school the summer before starting my master's degree due to the inspiration of one of my study buddies. The only problem was I had no direct patient contact experience. So I enrolled in a medical assisting program, finished it in 6 months and have been working at Budge Clinic Pediatrics since August of '08. This job has been very rewarding, I've learned a lot from the doctors, and have enjoyed working with patients. The patients I have enjoyed helping the most are those who wouldn't be able to accomplish their goals without my assistance like the Spanish-speaking patients and families who I interpret for, and the hospice patient whose life history I'm transcribing.

Besides learning the intricacies biology, chemistry and medicine, my life after high school and college has afforded me opportunities to meet people. People from all walks of life with a myriad of life experiences have crossed my path and have influenced the person I've become and the person I wish to become. Some of these people include fellow students, professors, family, ward members, friends, practicing PAs, and patients. I love serving people and am excited for what the future will bring. I'm so grateful for the opportunities I've been given and can't wait for the opportunities that will be coming my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment