Thursday, May 28, 2009

WE SURVIVED A BEAR ATTACK!!!

OK, not really, but it's still a good picture ;)

Michelle and I took an extra day for our Memorial Day weekend to go to the zoo. It's exciting to realize that after over two decades of visiting the same zoo I still enjoy it. There was a cool breeze and not too many people. (Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much.)

Right off the bat we went down to their newest exhibit, Madagascar! (Really, the "!" is part of the name. Probably if I really wanted to be correct I should put a "." after the "!" but that would've just looked weird.) I actually worked with a few of the animals that they have in the new place, but the main attraction is the fossa (apparently it's pronounced foo'sah, but I always thought it was more like . . . um . . . fossa . . . whatever). Nobody can really give a clear description of what a fossa looks like, so I'm not going to try, just know that it seems to sleep as much as the cats do.We also went to the bird show, saw the cheetah up and running (which is something I'd never actually seen before,) and played with Acara, the 4-year-old orangutan. Over all it was a great visit.

Since graduating earlier this month I've been working hard to try and find my own position at a zoo. While that hasn't materialized much of anything to-date, my visit to the zoo certainly helped me get the excitement back. (Who knows, maybe I'll get on at Hogle Zoo pretty soon.)

1 comment:

  1. The bear does look very ferocious! Could of fooled me! I really enjoy the zoo most in cooler weather. Thanks again to you and Michelle for your help in moving Emily. She will be leaving on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete