Saturday, June 6, 2009

To Dream . . .


Sometimes you work so hard towards a single goal that when the opportunity finally arrives it becomes the most difficult thing you can do.

I've been in contact with the education curator at Hogle Zoo talking to her about this that and the other. On Wednesday afternoon I emailed her inquiring a little more about the possibility of a second internship starting in mid July.


Later that evening Michelle and I went to a work party for one of her co-workers. (The co-worker had been there for five years of so and had just moved to a different job so that she could spend more time with her children.) At the party a lot of the people were asking me about my job prospects (because if I do ever get a job it probably won't be in Logan, which means they will also lose Michelle). Of course we told them about how much we hope we can stay in Utah, but right now that didn't seem very likely since the Hogle Zoo is on a hiring freeze.

Well, we returned home full n' happy (you can never have too many creamies,) and I decided to quickly check the internet to see if there was anything interesting job/internship wise. Low and behold, there it was, an "Immediate opening" at Utah's Hogle Zoo.


Now I feel it is important to note here that before this came about I had turned in ten or so resumes to various organizations across the nation, so I've become pretty proficient at producing a cover letter and resume that covers what they seem to be looking for. (At least this is according to my simple understanding, I have yet to be called back for an interview from any of them, but I just think that is because they are amazed by my potential and consider me to be over qualified . . . )


With all my preparation it has always been in the back of our minds that the ideal situation would be for me to get a job at Hogle, Michelle to be accepted into the PA school at U of U so then we'd still be able to be close to our family. I don't see any reason why Michelle wouldn't be accepted into the PA program (high GPA, minority, easy to work with, everybody loves her, etc. etc. etc.) so really the biggest hurdle to our dream was the hiring freeze at the zoo.


This job posting was on Wednesday and it is now Saturday evening. I think I've finally finished my resume and cover letter for the position, but I'm just not quite sure. Constantly in my mind is that little gnawing feeling that it needs something more (I know, experience, but besides that). It feels like there is so much riding on this application that I'm probably going to miss something simple. Oh well, Michelle will read over it later and I will work it over a little more and the plan is that I'll get it in the mail on Monday. Wish me luck.



P.S. According to my sources on the inside, this position is actually for a primary keeper position, which I would probably never even bother applying for at another zoo so nobody get too excited, but "you never know".

No comments:

Post a Comment