Friday, April 15, 2011

After Years and Years of Running . . .

I had a roommate that was trying to improve his running. He found a book and it listed the four types of runners (or non-runners): Type I - Those that don't have the desire, or the ability; Type II - Those that have the desire, but not the ability; Type III - Those that don't have the desire, but do have the ability; and Type IV - Those that have the desire and the ability.

We were quickly able to ascertain that my roommate trying to kick up his running was a Type II, my other roommate was a Type I, and I was a Type III. The only one we were missing from our group was the elusive Type IV (I would've figured that anyone having the desire to run would be elusive). The only running I really did at the time was in Frisbee games, and I was happy to keep it that way. (Speaking of which, it's getting to be that season again! Anyone know of some groups getting together?)

A short while later I met a girl, turns out that she's the Type IV. Apparently it only took a cute girl to get me into a little running. It's been over three years and 100 miles since I married that girl and to be honest, I'm still not the biggest fan of running (I'd much rather be running for a touch-down), but I keep doing it. Why? Oddly enough there are a number of reasons.

For one, it keeps me in shape for trash kicking in Frisbee (I love being able to out run the teens and twenty-somethings). Another, running actually does keep me in shape. Yet another, there's always great stuff to see when I'm running. In the summer I get to be outside and seeing all the nature around. In the winter I get to watch ESPN while I go a couple of miles on the treadmill. However, probably the biggest reason why I keep running is because it's quality time with that Type IV girl I met a few years back.

2 comments:

  1. Jimmy, it is good to hear from you again. I enjoy reading your posts.

    Breanna still loves feeding your fish. Last week a lady at Norm's work gave him 6 free fish, $70 later, we now have real fish for Breanna to feed.

    ReplyDelete