Friday, May 6, 2011

First Reader's Request

I think that something happens when I'm trying to write something and I'm just staring at the blank page, my mind becomes even more blank . . .

So, after many attempts, I'm going to try and tackle one of the requested topics and see where it takes me. From this point I'm just writing for the sake of writing and hope that something publishable shows up . . .

"Not just another pretty face, the personalities of birds."

Something that I think a lot of us don't stop and think about is that we're mammals. Why do I point this out? Well, as mammals we're more likely to relate of feel some sort of connection with other furry, hairy, woolly, things. (I'm not going to be the one to judge as to which category you fall under.) The mammalian sorts take front seat for most people as being the most individualistic.

What do many people feel about our feathery friends though? I remember in Biology 1010, the professor would always refer to them as bird-brains. He talked about how birds are simply designed to react. This enables them to fly through whatever obstacles evading predators or chasing prey.

While I can't speak for all birds, I do know that some have higher levels of thought than that, some could even say that they have quite the personality. Some of them are more willing to be trained and are even eager to work with us as we try to teach them new things. Others of the same group might just wish to avoid us all together.

We never really can tell what type of bird is going to react to what until we've worked with that individual for a while and can have a good idea of what their personality might be like.

I'm sure that those of you living with multiple animals, or children (if you want to put them in a different category) understand. Basically, what works for one doesn't always work for the others. Try to explain why and you'll probably come up blank.

4 comments:

  1. Can you explain the behavior of ducks this year? They are landing on the roof. They have never done this before. What is happening?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ducks, especially mallards, like to break all the norms they can think of. They're just rebels against nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete